On 08/27/2019 11:01 AM, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-support wrote:
On 8/27/19 2:54 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-support wrote:

Also, changing /etc/localtime to a symlink has an immediate effect of
changing
the clock to the right timezone (that's really amazing, at the time
you hit
return, the clock changes), thanks Bruce. I think we should change
/etc/localtime to a symlink in the Sysv book.

That would be in LFS Chapter 6 glibc.

It's curious why /etc/localtime needs to be a symlink.  If the file is
just opened, the kernel should follow the symlink and do the right
thing.  lxde and xfce do not have the problem and neither does xclock.
Something in gnome and, IIRC, plasma, is looking specifically for a
symlink.

The reason for using a cp instead of ln in the glibc instructions is to
keep the time right in the unusual case that /usr is not mounted.  Even
if /usr is on a separate partition it is almost always mounted early
(mount is the 7th bootscript) unless there is a problem.

I think I once did something like:

mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.file
ln -s  localtime.file /etc/localtime

but that's not a good solution for the book.

What do others think?  Should we just change LFS from

cp -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/<xxx> /etc/localtime

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/<xxx> /etc/localtime

I would prefer the symlink.

1) the way the book is set /usr is always mounted
   The /usr partition to be mounted or not is more an
   issue related with  disk partitioning and brand
   new system installation.

2) When you copy zoneinfo/something to /etc
   as "localtime", you are losing what is the current
   timezone setup. If you use symlink the
   time-zone is displayed (lets say /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT)
   if (as admin) you want the change system
   time zone, you know, first glance, where to look
   to set your own time-zone.

--
seen "Linux from scratch" and looking for ISO files
www.osukiss.org