On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 09:54 +0200, Pierre Labastie via blfs-support
wrote:

> OK, seems we've got it working!

Alas, not quite... I've rebuilt a fresh gnome (not a full system, just
lfs-9.0, then elogind, then all gnome packages from the book), and
guess what: no french keyboard in gdm, although I thought I had the
same config as when it worked \-: But I've tried so many things that I
may well have some hidden config somewhere, that I have not
transferred.

But here is a workaround: log into gnome (use the screen keyboard), go
to settings, region and language, and add the French keyboard. Select
it. Then copy $HOME/.config/dconf/user to
/var/lib/gdm/.config/dconf/user, and reboot. Then the keyboard is
azerty (amazingly, the screen keyboard seems to still be qwerty).

BTW, I do not have a login screen button in settings, region and
language, while I had been able to get one (not functional) in my
previous attempt. Oh well, gnome...

> What made it work is the change in
> js/ui/status/keyboard.js from gnome-shell. No need for localed, no
> need to use
> Xorg instead of wayland, but I've done two small changes (I doubt
> they are
> relevant to this problem, but they provide a cleaner build):
> - add -Dsystemd=false to the meson options in gnome-shell (makes the
> instructions for removing systemd units useless)
> - change -DWITH_SYSTEMDSYSTEMUNITDIR= to -DWITH_SYSTEMDUSERUNITDIR=no
> in
> evolution-data server (prevents installing some systemd user units
> (note that
> the change is not only to add "no", it is in the name of the variable
> too:
> SYSTEM->USER)

The fresh system has all those changes... /etc/localtime is a symlink,
and the clock is OK (at least something reproducible)...

Pierre