From: Margaret Thomas
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:36 PM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Error Loading IE 6-XP Home

Hi All,

    I got the following error message every time I loaded IE 6 today:

Error
A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.  You
may need to run setup.

and there was an okay button to press.

    I did a Google search and found a Microsoft article that seems to
give a resolution to the problem, but I wanted to make sure I didn't
get myself into a mess and have a couple of questions.

SYMPTOMS
After you connect to a Web site, you may receive the following error
message:
A file that is required to run search companion cannot be found. You
may need to run setup.
After you receive this error message, you cannot use Search Companion
to search for files or folders, or to search the Internet. The options
to search for
files or folders, or to search the Internet, are unavailable.

Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if a file required to run Search Companion is
missing or damaged. Note that this problem affects only the
English-language version
of Windows XP.

NOTE: Search Companion files may be damaged if you have Search
Companion open when you connect to certain Internet Service Providers.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.

Back to the top

Method 1: Install Windows XP SP1

Back to the top

Method 2: Download and Install the Hotfix
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft
Download Center:

Download
Download the Q319949 package now

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319949

    If I go ahead and download and try to install the Hotfix, will XP
automatically put it in the right place for me since I have no idea of
where it belongs?  I have SP 2, so I don't think I want to install SP
1.

    Also, where is the Search Companion?  I downloaded and installed
the Microsoft updates yesterday and wonder if one of them might have
corrupted this Search Companion.

    The computer is XP Home with IE 6 and I'm running JAWS 7.0.

    Any help in straightening this out would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Visit the Blind Computing List home page at:
body of a blank message
to:
http://www.blind-computing.com/contact.php
If you wish to join the JAWS Users List send a blank email to the following
address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]