Patricia,

I would follow Rick's suggestion. I do use power scripts (surge
protectors) for not only for computer devices, but also for my stereo
system. If you can place the script in a convenient place, then it
won't be hard to use it as a switch for your external hard drive.

BTW, my computer and monitor are plugged into an unlimited power
supply (UPS) for protection and power failure.

I don't like any devices that does not have a switch and goes into a
sleep mode. I had an Omega external hard drive that did exactly that
and I returned it for a Maxtor which has a power on and off switch.

Lennie