To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Trying to remove a Trojan Horse.

I hope somebody else can  give you some better news but remedies to get rid
of Trojans often rely on deleting files in Windows Safe Mode. That is a
version of windows where minimal features are loaded. There is no way that I
am aware of that you can use  a screen reader in safe Mode as I believe no
audio drivers are loaded. I would be very interested if someone can point
out that I am wrong.

Whatever course you take to get rid of this Trojan I think you are going to
need sighted help. I have  had a couple of problems like these over the
years and I am afraid to say I found the help desks of Norton and AVG pretty
impotent .  You can easily spend hours and hours trying to sort this out.
In my experience the quickest way    may be to do a destructive Windows
re-install so your priority now should be backing up all the data you need
including emails etc.

Our list owner David, has   suggested using a solution like Image for
Windows as an escape route for problems like these. I think he is right, I
use Norton Ghost but you do need sighted help whilst it re-builds Windows.
Image for Windows apparently has a method people without sight can deploy.

It is not much help for you right now but I suggest that once your system is
restored to perfect health and you have everything how you want it use a
program like Image for Windows to freeze this as an image. Then you can
always go back to this perfect state which gives peace of mind. Use Karen's
Replicator available on the owners site to keep all your important data
backed up separately so that these can be resored also once you put the
perfect image back in.

Regards

David  Griffith