2 questions about using msconfig - start up tab.

1. Whenever I have tried to disable something, anything as simple as msn
messenger or yahoo messenger I always turn on my computer afterwards only to
discover that it is rejecting the changes. This is my own personal computer so
I do have administrative rights. That isn't the issue. It just says it can't
start up normally unless it starts up with the freakin yahoo messenger as part
of its start up routine. Do I need to uninstall yahoo messenger altogether in
order for it to be taken off my start up list?

Second question I have is, how do y'all go about hearing a ig long file name
within the start up menu and know what it is? I was trying to copy the list of
programs that are listed in the start up tab of msconfig and paste them into
notepad or something. That way I could boil down the long names into the main
nugget of what's important for me to know in order to research them on google.
The copy and paste effort, however was fruitless. Any suggestions on this
dilemma?

Kate