From: "David Griffith" <d.griff...@btinternet.com>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] synchronizing documents

Use the Microsoft document Scanning application that comes with the MS
Office suite. One of the options that will be provided in this application
is a check box to indicate that the document that you are scanning is double
sided. The application will prompt  you to scan the reverse  pages and  then
merge them. By the way this application has an excellent OCR.

However this is a very time consuming way of doing this. It depends on how
much you have to read but you may want to consider the purchase of a duplex
scanner.  Basically I had to read loads of books for my recent Masters
degree. In the end the only feasible way of independently reading the number
of books I needed to was to purchase the key books, tear the pages out and
feed them through my duplex scanner and start reading.

In this way I could scan a 300-400 page book in less than half and hour. For
my PhD though I have successfully argued to the DSA in the UK that they
should fund the purchase of an Eye Pal scanner. This is a portable and
extremely small camera that sits on a tripod over an open book. Crucially
this device also includes a motion detector which will recognise when you
have turned the page of a book. Apparently in this book mode of scanning you
can make 20 2  page scans a minute. That is 40 pages. It  is very expensive
at the moment  and I think it is only feasible to get through Access to Work
or Disabled Student's Allowance but this does seem to be the future of
scanning for people with visual impairment.

Regards

David Griffith

My Low Vision Resources Web Site  is
http://www.nonags.org/members/dajgriff/