Hi Graham,
     The scanning software I am having the best success with is called HP
Document Scan. If you buy a HP Scanner the HP Document Scan should be one of
the programs that install with the drivers on the original disk. Just make
sure to choose the install all software options. Then look on the desk top
for the HP Document Scan Icon. When you first click on it, the software will
ask you to confirm the scanner you want to use. Then it will give you a list
of scanning options. I choose scan to editable RTF document. If you are
using JAWS you can also control tab to reach other settings like turn
document right side up before doing OCR and straighten paper. These make the
scanning results much better. At first I couldn't find these settings and so
I was getting scrambled text. Now, I am getting about 100% good text.
     I hope this helps.

God bless,
Mark