The Thinkpad line of notebook or laptop computers was sold by IBM to Lenovo years ago along with the entire line of IBM PC's and laptops. You can purchase a Lenovo Thinkpad, which is now a Chinese-made product, but still considered good quality. However, there is no need to limit your investigation to a Thinkpad. That is just one line of notebook or laptop computers among hundreds. Go to www.amazon.com and www.buy.com and do a search for laptop or notebook computers, or just click on their "computers" link and then on laptops or notebooks and you will be able to read all about hundreds of models with many different combination of components and features at all kinds of prices. A netbook will not be adequate as a substitute for your desktop PC, but a notebook or laptop would do well. Be prepared to spend many hours looking if you really want to educate yourself about what is available. The computer market is constantly changing and models come and go like the seasons. There is nothing special about Thinkpad, it is just a catchy marketing name for one particular line of laptops.

Rich De Steno

On 10/3/2010 3:11 PM, yvonne oliver wrote:
hello Andre
thank you for this.
it is intended that the desktop p c is replaced with something that takes up less space. at the moment on this rather small computer trolley i have a monitor, speakers, modem, microphone and cordless phone.
a keyboard and trackerball for the sighted on the middle shelf

not forgetting the tower unit on the bottom shelf.
so in actual fact i do indeed want to use the smaller machine in the same way as i do the desktop one i currently use. also i would have the added bonus of being able to take it with me when i go on holiday. so using ms office, skype, and all the other things i do would be done on the smaller machine.
so perhaps a think pad may be better for this purpose.
when i was sighted a friend of mine had one of the earlier i b m thinkpads.
this was in the days of m s dos and windows 95,98, and millennium.
it also had a cd/dvd drive.
however in those days it had no wi fi and the processor was much slower than machine of today.
but it was a good laptop/computer.
assuming the thinkpad is still in production these days and obviously the processor speed would be faster i would also assume they have wi fi and a much higher capacity hard drive. and i wonder if they have card readers, bluetooth and extra u s b ports like the netbooks and larger laptops have of today. so if anyone can shed any light on wether the think pad is still in production and is it is much improved i would be grateful. also if it is still in production a full specification would be appreciated. so that is why i need a netbook or as things stand at the moment a fast thinkpad with all the mod cons of today.

Yvonne
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andre Williams" <andre.williams.1...@gmail.com>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] netbooks

I'm not in your position, and I don't know the value of the cell phone, and I don't know the condition of the netbook. If we're talking brand new in the box, I will say that I would prefer the netbook over the thinkpad, but my needs are very different than yours. I do not intend to use the netbook as a desktop substitute. I realize the limitations of netbooks and only use for light word processing, email, and internet browsing. If I want to run sound forge or Nero, I know I'm gonna have to use something much more powerful such as my desktop. Please avoid the mindset that this netbook will do what your desktop does or will perform like your desktop does. If I were you I would fire up Google and run an Amazon.com or newegg.com search for this netbook and read the reviews. Usually you will find over 100 reviews from all kinds of people doing all kinds of things using netbooks.

Andre