Drop Box is not optimized exclusively for speed! It does use some tricks to speed up updates to files to make it more efficient. It is designed to replicate it's contents in the background. It's Public folder is just a great bonus. It is specifically designed not to impact your normal use. If you want to share files at maximum speed, perhaps you should use a different solution.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org <http://www.vinuxproject.org/> There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen