Hi Annette,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier than this, but you can disable
protected view by doing the following:

1. press alt+F to go to the file menu, then up arrow to options and press
enter.

2. Once in the options, press the letter T for Trust Settings, then
shift+tab to get to the button titled, Trust Settings and press the spacebar
to activate.

3. Once activated, a dialog box will pop up, arrow down once to protected
mode.

4. tab through the list of checkboxes and press the spacebar to uncheck all
of the checkboxes you find.

5.  Once you've come around back to the section list, arrow twice down to
another section with the word protected in it, *I'm sorry, I can't remember
the exact phrasing of the list item, but I do know that it does have the
word protected in it*.

6. tab around to the section titled what to do when a protected file is
encountered, and arrow down to view protected files, but allow editing, or
something similar like that.

7. Tab around to the ok button, and press the spacebar to activate it.

8. Tab to the ok button on the previous dialog box, once the trust settings
dialog box closes, and press the spacebar to activate it.

You'll be done at this point, but I should note something...

One thing that might speed up your Office experience is a little thing
hidden away in Office's trust settings.

Once in the trust settings, if you arrow down the list items, you'll
eventually land on privacy, where you can tab through the dialog box to
check and uncheck the options you want.
there are several checkboxes I think, and this is only what I think mind
you, that the file creation settings in that section of the trust settings,
along with the constant validation will slow your computer down, especially
if you have limited RAM, so you may decide to uncheck that box if you find
your Office programs running sluggishly.

Hope this helps.

Scorpio