Windows 10 isn't horrible. Its bad, don't get me wrong, but you can bludgeon
it into a perfectly usable state. A good implicit deny firewall is a must.

From: "Damien Garwood" <dam...@dcpendleton.plus.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:39
To: <blind-gamers@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [blind-gamers] Coming up with ideas for a new game project.

Hi,
To be honest, I thought it targeted the fact that BGT executables can
have data tacked onto the end of them. Then again, I guess this is only
the same as how installers and self-extracting archive files would work,
so I don't know.
Generally, I use many an unsigned program with no issues, although I'm
still on Windows 7 and it wouldn't at all surprise me if Windows 10 did
complain and take aggressive action against unsigned applications. If I
think Windows 7 is bad, then Windows 10 was conceived directly by the
devil, and, based on the three days I spent with it before I decided to
roll back during the free assistive upgrade, thinking about it makes me
want to write a big, thick, Windows 10 rant book.
Perhaps unfortunately, my whole schooling consisted of XP, and so I
don't think I will ever prefer a more recent system. In fact, thanks to
touchscreens, I can quite easily see a day where I will be completely
excluded from the technology world. Given that computers take up about
85% of my waking life, the other 15% being essential functions of
living, I've no idea what I'll do then! I guess all I can do, at least
for now, is continue to enjoy it while it lasts.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 20/05/2018 01:00 PM, Oriol Gómez wrote:
> antivurs programs don't target the blind, wtf are you saying?
> You really have no idea
> it's bad coding practices they target, not blind people...
>
> On 5/20/18, Shaun Everiss <sm.ever...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> True but antivirus programs target the blind and software with so many
>> exceptions that its going to be a miracle we find any virus at all.
>>
>> At any rate the folders likely to get any virus are cloud folders like
>> google, dropbox, etc, then your downloads folder.
>>
>> Sadly its not just bgt, its got to do with certification.
>>
>> Basically if it doesn't have a signature that says a company owns this
>> or microsoft says its ok its unknown and probably nasty.
>>
>> This is fine and usually you let through what it is.
>>
>> However, if its flagged a virus because its unknown, then as far as
>> microsoft says its a virus and then you exclude it and it goes away.
>>
>> In most cases, your head is probably more right than your security
>> software, if it doesn't look right or you get a voice telling you there
>> is something odd about something then its probably right and you should
>> avoid it.
>>
>> Bgt is known its why people are pulling away from it, its old tech now
>> and becides its not developed anymore.
>>
>> Sadly some older programs do the same thing.
>>
>> It also effects some screen readers.
>>
>> If you never played games, and or used anything bar microsoft stuff your
>> system will run fine.
>>
>> I have a lot of systems with java, itunes, ms programs, ccleaner, 7zip
>> and nvda as well as adobe programs.
>>
>> Most of these have certificates and or windows concidders them ok.
>>
>> Anything else.
>>
>> To be honest, much as I hate it to bits, I am going to have all my blind
>> software, from games to screen readers excluded because I don't trust
>> security software to leave my stuff alone.
>>
>> I will even have a different directory for downloads I know are ok if
>> windows thinks its bad.
>>
>> Sadly thats just the case for the blind.
>>
>> Some sighted get it bad to.
>>

>> On 5/20/2018 7:17 PM, Damien Garwood wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Right. But then what if you get a real virus in one of those folders?
>>> Basically, you're screwed. My motto: Never, ever, use, exceptions.
>>> They're probably the very reason, or at least one of them, why Windows
>>> 10 is 100% paranoid about security now.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Damien.

Groups.io Links: