so far, I have read a bunch of stuff online, anything from individuals
without hard numbers I have had to dismiss since they are all over the
place about heat pump efficiencies.  The stuff with more realistic numbers
indicate that at 40 degrees F, standard heat pumps are about 180% more
efficient than straight electric.  High efficiency heat pumps are about
200%, or twice as efficient as straight electric.  The curve drops off
below 40 to about 1 to 1 around 0 degrees F.

Of course, they are amazingly efficient if it is 80 degrees outside and
you like your house at 85.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi