Hi Victor,

There shouldn't be any problem with shingling a roof this time of year so long
as you aren't doing it over snow. RJ said he thought that shingles are less
likely to be damaged in cool than hot weather, I am not sure I agree entirely
with that, it is probably a matter of degree, in my experience cold asphalt
shingles get pretty brittle. The ears are easier to press to speed alignment of
the shingles when they are warm but that is the concern of the contractor. If
they are stripping the roof first that should go a little easier.

It is probably a slight advantage that the sealing strips don't get well stuck
down too early on as well, the shingles will settle and shape before the hot
sun fuses them.

These days the crew will probably have power nailers and those shingles will go
up really quickly. While they are at it you should probably ask about ice dam.
This is a three foot wide strip of rolled material like the shingles which is
rolled out along the bottom edge of the roof just at the eve, the part of the
roof deck that hangs out over the edge of the house and in most cases some
distance above that. The bottom most several courses of shingles are laid over
this. It prevents any snow melt from freezing as it passes over the edge of the
building and forming a dam ultimately allowing water and subsequently ice to
creep back up under the lower courses of shingles and lifting or otherwise
damaging them. The cost is about nothing. It may be code where you live,
apparently it is code here in new construction but oddly, not in renewing.

Ask too about inspection and repair or replacement of any failing roof decking.
Depending on the age of the house it may be shiplap boards or more likely these
days it will be plywood but have them replace any bad looking pieces while the
shingles are up.

Don't think I can think of anything else, there are things like ridge vents you
might want to add particularly if you will be adding more ceiling insulation to
be sure any moisture will be evaporated before it freezes and accumulates over
the winter and drips through the ceiling.

If this hasn't been an issue to date and you aren't about to be making other
changes then this will not be necessary.

Hope this is helpful.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens