Hi Dale, RJ and everyone else who posted on my query,

As I said, RJ, my initial fear was the bonding of the shingles to each
other, creating a kink in the link, so to speak.

Lord knows we get some mighty strong prevailing winds up here, and I'm
afraid that if the shingles don't bond to each other, a gust of wind will
start flapping them around, and snow or water will creep up under them.

Apparently, As you may have read from Dale's message, not having them seal
to each other is also a good thing, as it allows for them to adjust to their
new homes.

As to your comment about the ice shields Dale, that is specifically why we
are replacing the roof.

During our last ice storm back in January, we found that it started raining
from our light fixtures when the ice melted off of the roof.

This prompted me to call a roofer to find out why it did that, and how I
could prevent it from happening again.

He essentially told me that the roof was laid without any ice shields, so
the water just backed up into the rafters, and onto my ceiling.

My daughter thought it was really pretty...I did not.

In any case, I can't really say whether the ice shield is a code requirement
or not, but considering the ice and leaks we've been getting, I would say
that we needed one anyway.

Thanks everyone for your comments, and I'll let you know what he says when
he starts on the roof and I address my concerns with him.

Victor Gouveia