Howdy Folks,

I don't know if it's just my own experience, but far and away the best,
least opinionated, most assisstive and helpful hardware store salespeople
have been the retired Ace-type trades and handymen.  I've always been happy
when being assisted by someone like that.  There's no annoying attitude to
get around, or waste time educating, or simply getting frustrated over.
They just help.  The more sophisticated among them have sort of knowingly
taken into account my blindness and problem-solved with me regarding
alternative techniques for getting something done.  Certainly, there's
always the admonishment about safety, etc.  But, I can easily accept that.
I do it myself to others.

If ever I've run into some cynicism and ignorance regarding my Blind
Handyman abilities, it's been from a relatively young clerk in one of the
big home improvement box stores, such as Home Depot or Menards.  Even then,
I can't always determine if they're being ignorant regarding blindness, or
simply can't be bothered to open a locked glass case, or sealed package,
etc.

Give me Howard Cunningham any day of the week!

--Barry