Here's a handy idea a colleague technician suggested which I used successfully

I wanted to wrap something around 2 wires from a temperature sensor
to make a neat cable.  The sensor came with 2 3 foot teflon wires, but nothing
to hold them together.

You can get teflon shrink tubing but it is expensive
and tends to be kind of stiff.

My colleague, martin, suggested using teflon
plumber's tape thusly.

I fixed two pegs to clamps on the edge of my bench so that they stuck
up a few inches in the air far enough apart
to hold the wires.  I filed slots in the tops of these pegs to hold
the wires and taped them in place so the wires were
neatly stretched out above the bench edge.

I took plumber's teflon tape, rolls cost a buck or so
from any hard warestore, and started near one end of the wires.

First I wrapped two or three turns over top of each other going around the
wires, and holding a little pressure.  The tape isn't sticky but sticks to its
self when pulled only slightly tight.

Then I began wrapping the tape in a spiral
around the wires trying to keep maybe a 30 degree angle
where the tape left the wires so as to make the spiral.  Make sure each wrap
covers the previous one by about half the tape width.

It is not, as you may think, a fussy or critical
job, it just takes a bit of time.

As long as there is some slight tension as you wrap, it comes out
fine and makes a nice neat, non-meltable covering.

I slipped short lengths of actual shrink tubing over the ends, one where the
wires came from the temperature probe, and one where I soldered the wires
into a 1/4 inch plug.  These make sure the ends of the teflon tape stay put.

Shrink the tubing with your heat gun, or someone's hot breath if available,
and you're done.

It's been kicking round the lab for a week during testing and hasn't fallen
apart yet.

This scheme would be hard to do for longer lengths, but worked great for this
setup.

Apparrently even though my wraps aren't perfectly even, it looks fine.

Have fun
Tom Fowle