From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Tom Fowle
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:43 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Audible level modification

Hi lenny
Unfortunately, most of the beepers used in modern gizmos are "piezo
electric'
units which require very low power.
Thus there would probably not be enough power available to run a buzzer,
which
requires a pretty healthy chunk. the only buzzers I know
that don't take much power are high frequency and thus
hard to feel.

Again, the entire unit probably draws so little current from the battery
htat
there wouldn't be enough current flow to run the buzzer.

Depending on the battery used, something might be done with an
added transistor to take the relatively low current voltage that runs
the beeper and "switch" more current through to a buzzer, or maybe better
to a pager vibrator motor.

If Larry Martin actually has a person who needs
a tactile level, have him contact me privately
and we can talk about us doing a one-off unit
for a particular person. We do have a pretty good deal
of experience with making stuff vibrate.

Tom Fowle
Smith-kettlewell RERC