I've actually faught a fire caused by a soldering iron  making contact
with a non-fire resistant cloth I used to clean up my work area.
It was about 2ft high, and a foot wide.
It surprisingly didn't mar the table surface. So, no, it didn't set the
table on fire. (1950's fancy 8 person wooden dining room table) due to a
teflon mat on which all rests.
But, I can say the mess is woth the savings; but only slightly worse than
the (okay I can't joke about that).
Tom's directive is how it seems I interacted with the event.