  From: Michael baldwin
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:38 AM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] building a house

    Shane,
  Actually, i wouldn't build a house right now. with the current house
  market, you can probably buy something better then you can build for that
  price. And if you build, it will probably be worth less than it cost to
  build.

  that aside, I think building a house would be fun, and I hope to in 5 years.

  if your 80k budget does not include purchasing a lot, you might want to see
  what lots are selling for where you want to build, assuming you are going to
  need to buy one.

  15000 sq/ft house for 80k...well, that will be tuff, $53.33 per sq/ft. They
  say the average is $115 per sq/ft of home for a basic house. But I am sure
  it can be done.

  If you want energy efficient, spend the majority of your money on your
  building envelope. things like light fixture, flooring, cabinets, etc...
  can be upgraded at a later date when you have the money for it.

  Cost will be different for you, than they are for me, so you need to speak
  with contractors to get ideas of what things will cost.

  Compare using closed cell spray foam to other methods of insulation. It is
  about an R7 per inch, and seals against air leaks as well. So in a 2x4
  wall, you will have an R value of 24.5. Add 1 inch of xps foam to the
  outside, that has an R of 5, and you have a 29.5 R value wall. Closed cell
  spray foam runs about $4 per sq/ft of 2x4 wall here. 2x4's are a little
  less expensive than 2x6's, and much less than going with something like
  ICF's. 2x4's will give you a few more sq/ft of interior space. Closed cell
  foam also adds to the strength of your walls.

  if you do not mind vinyl windows, I would go with something like the
  American Craftsman sold at Home Depot. They are reasonably priced and are
  pretty good windows. They make the vinyl for Anderson Windows. But they
  are about half the price of an Anderson or Pella window.

  Go with a non-vented attic. Insulation, spray foam is best, is put right
  against the underside of the roof deck. This makes the attic part of your
  conditioned air. This does not increase the roof temp by more than a couple
  of degrees, like some will have you believe, and you do not have that hot
  attic air working it's way back down in to your house. When you do this,
  the roof should have a layer of water and ice shield on the whole roof
  though, instead of roofing paper. The reason for this, is to give you a
  extra layer of protection if your shingles were to fail. With the
  insulation right against the roof deck, leaks can take a lot longer to show
  up. Use a light colored shingle, or roof coating, to reflect the heat back
  away from the house.

  The HVAC contractor needs to run a manual J to size your a/c and heat
  properly. . Systems to small or to big can cost you more money. Radiate
  floor heating can make a house feel more comfortable at a lower temp, but
  you will not have that many heating days, and a central air system needs the
  blower to circulate the air, so you might as will just used forced heat and
  air. All that stuff about turning back the thermostat at night, and up
  during the day, doesn't really work in my experience and opinion, your best
  to only change it be a degree or to, or just leave it at the same temp all
  the time.

  Try to use standard sized products in your house build. Example windows, a
  stock window is much less than a custom ordered one. try to keep your
  dimensions divisible by 4, there is less waste of product, so you are buying
  a few sheets less of plywood and such.

  Michael

  _____