  From: Edward Przybylek
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:07 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Mailbox Post

    Hi all,

  For the fourth time since I've been living in this house, some dirty bastard
  has run into and broken the post under my mailbox. The post was a 4-by-4
  piece of pressure treated that was buried about 3 feet in the ground. The
  first time was forgivable; the second time was irritating; the third time
  was really agrivating; the fourth time, well, that's personal. It appears
  that a good sturdy wooden post just isn't up to the likes of what drives
  through the neighborhood. I doubt a wooden post does a great deal of damage
  to a car's bumper. It's time to get serious about this matter. This time
  it's going to be a hefty metal post of some sort. One, that next time,
  won't be the only thing left with damage. Does anyone have any suggestions
  as to the type of metal post I should use? Do steel posts hold up for a
  reasonably long time once they're cemented in the ground? Is there anything
  better? Is there anything that can be done to prepare a metal post that
  will extend it's life in the ground? Also, has anyone ever used an electric
  jackhammer? Do they work reasonably well? Are they tough to use? Before
  putting a new post in the ground, the old concrete is going to have to be
  broken up and removed to get ready for a new post. I'm hoping to do this
  with an electric jackhammer. Lots of questions, I know. Any help is
  greatly appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Ed Przybylek

database 3975 (20090330) __________