From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Bob Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:52 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Mailbox Post

Ed,

The electric jack hammer will work fine. Soak the ground around the area
first and once you start hammering you might be able to pull out good sized
chunks when it breaks loose from the ground.

Knowing where you live and what the winters are like, you will understand
how I built my mail box post. I had a problem with plow drivers tagging
mine.

I had a power auger in the shop so for a road test, I drilled a 1 foot
diameter hole 4 feet deep. Then I took a piece of 4 inch sewer pipe and
centered it in the hole. I filled the rest of the hole with concrete, cut
off the pipe at the right height and filled the inside of the pipe with the
rest of the concrete. I had to use a couple of the large muffler clamps,
actually they fit a rear axle, and clamped the mail box bracket to the pipe.

First time a plow hit my new mail box, I lost the mail box but it snapped
the support arm on the plow as well. Sounded like a bomb going off when they
hit.

I think this would do a reasonable amount of damage to a car or pickup truck
as well. You may lose the box if it is hit, but the post will defend your
property and you'll feel better knowing who ran into your mail box.