  From: wstep...@everestkc.net
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:03 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Mailbox Post

    Dale: When I lived in East Central Kansas for a while, we had a mailbox
where a section road intersected a blacktop road, and it was mounted on what
probably was a fence post. It was a convenient target for kids with .22s and
air rifles, and had to be replaced pretty frequently.
  I'm not sure what determines whether someone in a rural area gets mail
delivered or not. I've lived in a couple small towns where if you wanted mail
you rented a box from the Postal Service. The Post Office in the US is a
quasi-government corporation, which means they do get subsidized significantly.
Because they've been losing tremendous amounts of money for years, attempts are
underway to close a lot of post offices. It's a problem for a lot of places,
because nobody wants their particfular post office to close down.

  Bill Stephan
  Kansas Citty MO
  Email: wstep...@everestkc.net
  Phone: (816)803-2469