  From: Edward Przybylek
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:17 AM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] electric motor question

    Hi Dale,

  Thanks for the information. I never did, and probably never will,
  understand this horsepower rating stuff. I once owned a table saw that was
  rated at 2 horsepower and it constantly bogged down trying to cut heavier
  pieces of wood. At some point, I inherited a saw with a 1.5 horsepower
  motor and it never stalled no matter what I put through it. Both were belt
  drives with 10 inch blades. I never could figure out why a 2 horsepower
  motor would bog down cutting a piece of wood that wouldn't make a 1.5
  horsepower motor even break a sweat. Years ago, my company decided that all
  non-electrical engineers (software, mechanical, optical, etc) needed a basic
  understanding of electricity and electrical concepts. They put all of us
  through six weeks of training using an extensive collection of video
  recorded classes. Many things made a great deal of sense after the class
  but, after not using most of the information for years, most of what I
  learned has faded into oblivion. Maybe it's time to haul out my recordings
  of the classes again and take a refresher course. But, being electron and
  proton challenged, I'm sure I'll be writing the list with all manner of
  electrical related questions. And yeah, before some smart ass on the list
  points it out, I do know that there are such things as neutrons.

  Take care,

  Ed Przybylek