AH HA!  I knew it Al.  You are heading down the dark path of tool
ownership.  All is lost for you my friend.

You can get routers from the typical 79 dollar low end up to several
hundred bucks.  You are always best to get something a bit above the
bottom end though.

Bits mostly have a specific use, so you would need a few different bits to
do much of anything.  Luckily, you can get some inexpensive starter sets
that will give you a good selection and idea for what they do.  Sometimes
it can be difficult to imagine what the profile looks like from the shape
of the bit because the bit is a negative image of the profile.  Or the
profile is a negative image of the bit, guess it depends on your point of
view.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi