The baby monitor would work well but only if the dog is a noisy eater.  lol

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Fowle
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:18 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Inventors ahoy!

Jewel, save your printer's ink for the moment!

Actually my plan from yesterday is probably too simple, it requires
the dog actually lift the plate or whatever which is not likely.

My colleague Bill Gerrey says no dog can be trained not to take food.
but I've certainly known dogs that didn't.

There are "mat switches" which are a flexible plastic mat you could
put under the table cloth which would probably not be closed by the
plate but might be closed by the dog's paws on the table. this could set off
the alarm.

Getting fancier one could make a small say foot square, mini table with foam
rubber legs so it would vibrate easilly. This would be equipped with a
vibration sensor that would set off the alarm.

Even fancier, there are infrared motion detectors and proximity detectors
that might do.

Bill also suggests putting a contact type guitar pickup, essentially a
contact
microphone on the table. This could be hooked either just to an amplifier
and
speaker, or to a wireless baby monitor whose receiver
you could take with you to hear the invading beast.

Let's throw this idea around a bit, those with more
experience of dogs than i have may have better ideas related to training
techniques etc.

Tom Fowle