From: Bill Gallik
To: Blind Handyman
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:20 AM
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Questions About Brick Planters

OK Guys (and Gals),

I'm planning to build a brick planter in front of my home this spring and
have a few questions. First, let me explain that my home has a 10 square
foot addition in front that comprises the dining room. This addition sits on
a concrete foundation that comes up about 1 foot and the addition itself
extends out in front of the rest of the house 11 feet or so and is likewise
about 11 feet wide. The sidewalk parallels the southern-most outside wall
about 5 feet away; this is where I'd like to put the brick planter. In
short, I have about an 11' by 5' area between the house and sidewalk that I
would like to "cover" with a brick planter. Here are my questions:

1) The foundation rises about 1 foot above ground and I'd like to build a
planter at least 2 feet high; what should I be aware of/concerned about
where the back wall of the planter would be against or near this foundation
and siding?

2) If I build the planter right next to the house, what do I need to think
about so far as maintaining the integrity of the wood siding on that wall? I
guess what I want to know is how would I be able to paint that lower tier of
siding from time to time?

3) Would I need to line the inside of the planter with some type of water
proof material?

4) What about drainage from the planter?

5) What type of foundation do I need to think about for the planter?

6) Is it practical or even aesthetically attractive to build a planter right
out to the sidewalk?

I should say that I'd like this planter to serve as a "guide" for
snowblowing that part of the sidewalk during the winter so having the
planter foundation right against the sidewalk is one of my design
intentions. I like to place 4" × 4" treated lumber along my sidewalk edges
(at least one side) to serve as a "boundary" for the snowblower; it makes
for a much neater, straighter resulting path through the snow as well as
eliminating "drift" onto the lawn.

Any thoughts, suggestions and warnings will be much appreciated.\

Thanks!
----
Holland's Person, Bill
- "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
- US Humorist, Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)