oh he'll be the new governer of California is all. hahaha.

Blaine
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Rossi
To: Blind Handyman
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Questions About Brick Planters

Bill,

Just a gut feeling here, but if you are talking about essentially burying
one foot of the wall of your house, and it was not designed to be
subterranian, you might be asking for some trouble.

Possibly if you build the brick wall close to the house, but not up
against it, so that there can be some air flow there, you will avoid many
issues.

Two feet is not terribly high, so you can easily get away with landscaping
blocks and avoid having to use mortar.

Drainage is always an issue and you will want to look at this carefully.
you should have gravel on the inside of all the walls of the planter, and
maybe some drainage tube to carry the water away from the house.

Around where I live, there are many houses that have retaining walls right
at the edge of the sidewalk so I think it is visually acceptable in many
places.

If you are building a wall that is essentially 11 X 5 X 2 you are going to
be quite surprised at just how many landscaping blocks that is, and how
heavy those suckers become after the first hundred.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi