From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Howell
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:50 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Shark Bite Inline Valves

Folks,

I am wondering if there is a valve made by Shark Bite or would have
compression fittings. I do not know what it would be called, but let me
describe the valve and the problem. Well first the problem. I heard a
hissing noise from the fridge and we were about to leave the house, but I
just couldn't leave it alone, I had to at least determine what the hissing
sound was. So, finally I pulled the fridge out and am I glad I did. Yes, you
probably guessed by now that the water line from the fridge to the basement
had sprung a leak. A pin-hole leak, but a leak nevertheless. It was spitting
water all over the place and I'm not sure how long it had been doing that,
but I think I caught it early enough that it was not to large of a mess to
clean up. Unfortunately this meant I had to cut the water to the entire
house because the saddle valve had also failed to function when I turned it
off. So, off to the box store and back home with a very very heavy, duty
water line and included a new saddle valve. THe saddle valve was in my
opinion a piece of fecal matter and I have little confidence in it holding
up. I'm sure I'll get all sorts of opinions about saddle valves, but in my
mind they do not thrill me very much. So, what I would much rather have is a
valve that is of course a ball valve that would go inline. I would like to
be able to cut out that piece of pipe where the saddle valve is, install a
valve that would have a connection, which I could attach the water line too.
Now, it may require more than what I am looking to do because I suspect to
even install a mini branch to just accommodate the water line would be more
complicated. I do have the option of adding another flexible water line and
running that from under the kitchen sink with a T-splitter, run the water
line along the basement ceiling, and back up to the fridge and I may end up
doing this. Of course this means connecting to hoses and that is not a
difficult problem either, just more work and more effort to be sure I tie
things up to prevent anyone from possibly hitting it with something and
damaging the line. Either way I may end up doing this and use a SHark
connector to just replace that section of the line where there is that small
hole. However, I thought I would ask if there is some sort of splitter I
could put into the line that would have some sort of ball valve I could use
to shut off the water to the fridge, but not the rest of the downstream
line.
Also, one other question. I despariately need to replace the old gate valves
at the meeter, and there is one on either side of the meter. These things
are leaking only when messed with, bu they are really rusty feeling and will
fail at some point. I understand the Shark valves may be used as well. Of of
course I need to get someone to come and turn off the water at the street
unless I could find a tool to do it myself. However, more important, how can
I be sure I know the size of the pipe coming off the meeter? I am assuming
it is 3/4 off the meeter and probably reduces to 3/4 at some point. The gent
at the HD said to measure the pipe's outside diameter and that makes sense
if I can use a tailor's tape, which I have. Otherwise, how could I determine
this? I sure can't cut and then measure because that will never fly with the
spouse. grin

tnx,