Blaine,

The issue with my basement, as most folks here are painfully aware, after
my years of wining about it, is that the cement floor is dramatically
sloped to a center drain.  The basement is only 15 feet wide, and thus, in
the 7.5 feet from the side wall to the drain, the floor drops a little
over six inches.  I can't put furniture down there with the floor sloping
so much.  It just wouldn't be practical.  So, I am building a suspended
floor arrangement.

There are three main beams, one at either end, and one in the middle.
They span the basement from side wall to side wall, and encompass the
middle third of the length of the basement.  Forward of this area will
eventually be my shop, and aft of this area is the mechanicles, the
washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, blah blah blah.

Imagine a 2X4 laying on it's face spanning the basement, it's ends just
touching the cement floor at the walls.  Then, under that is a 2X6 but the
2X6 is shorter than the 2X4.  Then under the 2X6 are blocks of 2X6 and 1X6
and various other wedges and such so that the beam is nearly solid but
follows the profile of the cement floor below.

Then I laid 2X4 joists on their flat faces across the beams.  I had to put
blocks under the 2X4 joists because they really aren't very rigid that
way.

Now, as far as the pipes go.  basically, I am just hoping to convince any
water from an over flowing washer or exploded water heater, to go to the
pipe entrance, rather than just flow under the floor, spreading out and
wetting more than is necessary.  The pipe will just lay under the floor
and empty at the central drain in the middle of the basement floor.

The middle beam is actually split at the center and I am building in a
trap door over the central drain so that I can easily get at it if
necessary.

I also installed an external basement door last summer, so I intend on
putting some drainage line from the door, under the floor to the central
drain as well.  Just in case the door well outside floods and water starts
seeping in under the door.

Luckily, the basement isn't all that submerged.  Maybe 3.5 feet at the
front of the house, and less than a foot at the back of the house.

Oh yeah, there will eventually be walls enclosing this middle third of the
basement, making a nice additional room in this very tiny house.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi