Dan,even you have a new home. Mine was built in the 1880s. But I must agree
what yousaid. I really would get a good inspector. I saw one report where
they indicated a scratch in the tub.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Rossi" <d...@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] older homes - what to look for

Scott,

You don't know what an old house is.  Built in the fifties is like brand
new.  *GRIN*  My house was built in the twenties, and one of the Toms on
the list is working on a house that's over a hundred years old.

Get a home inspector to go through the house.  He can find lots of issues
if you want.  Check the wiring to make sure it is grounded to all outlets
and such.  I don't think they started using Aluminum wiring until the
sixties, so you should be OK there.

Look for cracking in the foundation walls.

Look for patches in the ceilings to see if there has been issues with
water damage in the past.

Do doors and windows open and close without binding.  That can mean
something as innocent as a poorly hung door, or just humidity expansion,
but can also indicate shifting of the house.

I'm sure you will get many other responses for things to look for as well.
But a home inspection by a pro can be very useful.  You can also get an
inspection by a structural engineer if you are so inclined.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi

blindhandyman-ow...@yahoogroups.com