Copying over from the other thread (trying to continue the discussion here):

The spec <https://www.w3.org/TR/mediaqueries-5/#dynamic-range> requires
> that "The combination of the User Agent and the output device fulfill all
> of the following criteria" when describing what it means to be high
> dynamic-range.  Since Chromium doesn't support wide-gamut colors in CSS,
> HTML, or Canvas, I think it's probably incorrect to report that
> (dynamic-range:
> high) is true based only on the device, which is what it looks to me like
> the current code
> <https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/renderer/core/css/media_query_evaluator.cc;l=351-378;drc=4d3cb20c1aebba55e54112531222c7434d29f3b0>
>  does.
> Admittedly, the spec could probably use some clarification as to what it
> means for the User Agent to fulfill the criteria for both the
> dynamic-range and video-dynamic-range queries, but my understanding of
> what the spec is trying to say is that Chrome probably shouldn't say that
> (dynamic-range:
> high) is true until it supports wide-gamut colors in at least some and
> maybe all of those contexts.

I think you're right that the spec needs some clarification, since we're
trying to incrementally enable adoption of HDR on the web the intent isn't
to signal that HDR is supported by all APIs. We do already support HDR in
some scenarios, such as the <video> element, so having these queries exist
to let developers detect display capabilities is already useful.