[snip]
> More about compatibility: Do you have any idea (guess really) of how
> much of existing MathML content will "work" with just MathML Core? Is
> it 99%, 90%, 50%, 10%?

In addition to what Fred said about counters investigation,  I can add that
the MathML Refresh group (that spent about 2 years working toward this and
getting it back on a W3C rec track) was very interested in and focused on
this question.  We did a bunch of research, and we also asked people with
significant pools of MathML already to dig into some of it.   I guess I can
assure you that much effort spent toward finding an interoperable subset
that can give us a baseline for rendering the vast majority of content that
was actually achievable and yielded acceptable results with 0-little effort
for authors.

However,  it is a somewhat tricky question because, what does it mean to
"work" can vary (or maybe better, how does it 'fail').  So, for example, L1
does not include "math links". This turns out to be kind of trickily nested
in a whole bunch of related questions that would take some real additional
time to answer. Without answering them, you can still put a regular link
inside a token element.  Given that, if. you load up some older MathML that
includes links on the token elements, it will render the math, but not the
link. The working group decided that this was the right tradeoff,
because for many things, that's the most important part and it wasn't
getting done at all - so this is a dramatic improvement already. It fails
better. However, with L1 we now also have the tools to include, with very
little additional author effort just a little bit of transform or js
handlers to make 'work' like a link too (for purposes they care about)
until we can move beyond that.

So, basically: It's hard to say with authority but the working group itself
has been both very cautious and pragmatic here.  They definitely understand
that even complete interoperability of L1 can't just make all MathML ever
written work.  They focused on making "the vast majority of stuff great"
and  making sure things outside that had a decent story too - be that it
"failing" in a better way natively or just having a very simple remediation
story, etc.