I'm worried that this process excludes/penalizes folks who may be OOO for
extended leave (incl long stretches of parental leave, bereavement) and
have that in their Gerrit status. This should not be a source of review
latency, if it is Gerrit should better surface that they are OOO.

Are any of the inactive owners, who did opt out last time, a source of
review latency? I.e. are reviews assigned to them but they don't review
them within some SLO window? Otherwise I strongly suggest we let folks
decline the OWNERS removal (at other OWNERS' discretion who should probably
review removal CLs).