On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 6:07 AM Kentaro Hara <hara...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Thanks all for the input!
>
> Dana:
>
>> This list includes per-file owners, did the script look for 100 CLs in
>> those files named by the rule when deciding to remove the person?
>

> Thanks for pointing this out! I'll exclude per-file owners from the list
> for now.
>
> Peter:
>
>> I'm worried that this process excludes/penalizes folks who may be OOO for
>> extended leave (incl long stretches of parental leave, bereavement) and
>> have that in their Gerrit status. This should not be a source of review
>> latency, if it is Gerrit should better surface that they are OOO.
>> Are any of the inactive owners, who did opt out last time, a source of
>> review latency? I.e. are reviews assigned to them but they don't review
>> them within some SLO window? Otherwise I strongly suggest we let folks
>> decline the OWNERS removal (at other OWNERS' discretion who should probably
>> review removal CLs).
>

> I think Glen covered this topic very well. As written in this guideline
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/code_reviews.md#expectations-of-owners>,
> owners are expected to be an active contributor to the directory ("Have the
> bandwidth to contribute to reviews in a timely manner. ... Don't try to
> discourage people from sending reviews, including writing “slow” or
> “emeritus” after your name."). If you are on an extended leave and removed
> by this process, you can explain it and re-add yourself through the owner
> nomination process. Will it work?

The next guideline
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/code_reviews.md#removal-of-owners>
(on
removal of owners) explicitly excludes owners who are on leave. I don't
think we should be adding additional friction for folks who go on leave;
the default assumption should be that when they return, they are just as
capable of being a good owner as when they left, without them having to
re-nominate themselves.