Hi Brian,

Feedback as issues opened against https://github.com/Tanych/accept-language would be most welcome.

later,
Mike

On 10/31/22 8:32 PM, Brian Birtles wrote:
Hi,

Where should developers give feedback about this proposal?

The changes to the Accept-Language header are ameliorated by the Variants header. Is there any such mechanism proposed for the changes to the JS interface?

Thanks,

Brian

2022年10月28日金曜日 2:57:18 UTC+9 vict...@chromium.org:

            Contact emails

    vict...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

            Explainer

    https://github.com/Tanych/accept-language

            Specification

    Variants header:
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-variants-06
    <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-variants-06>

            Summary

    We want to reduce the amount of information the Accept-Language
    header exposes in HTTP requests and JS interface
    navigator.languages. Instead of sending all user’s
    Accept-Language, we only send the user’s most preferred language
    after language negotiation in the Accept-Language header.
    navigator.languages returns the same value as navigator.language
    during this experiment.

    We would like to run an origin trial for sites to opt into the
    Reduce Accept-Language origin trial to proactively test for
    breakage. See below for more details.

    Implementation

Dochttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkPDf7DNtcOj4KXeW8wNCuYfto-drnGYST_NvZe3GoY

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkPDf7DNtcOj4KXeW8wNCuYfto-drnGYST_NvZe3GoY>

            Blink component

    Privacy>Fingerprinting

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Privacy%3EFingerprinting>

    Risks

            Interoperability and Compatibility

    The compatibility risk is low since we're planning to reduce the
    amount of information in the Accept-Language header and
    navigator.languages, rather than remove the header or change value
    format in the header. Most existing Accept-Language detection code
    should continue to work.

    As for interoperability, no signal for other vendors. For
    multilingual sites to rely on the Accept-Language header,
    developers would need to depend on a user's full Accept-Language
    list for some browsers and a primary user's Accept-Language for
    others.

    Another signal is that the Chrome incognito model already reduced
    the Accept-Language header and JS interface navigator.languages to
    one language. The Accept-Language header can potentially expand to
    two if the first Accept-Language includes a region code, like
    en-US, the reduced Accept-Language  header will be en-US,en;q=0.9.

    Experiment Summary

    The experiment is going to be a little different from a normal
    Origin Trial. The goal is enabling developers to test and ensure
    compatibility with our proposed changes. It’s incredibly important
    we give developers any chance to test systems at every level since
    this change represents vast dependencies on the introduced headers.

    As for enabling with the origin trial itself, there will be two
    components controlled by the same origin trial:

     *

        Reducing the information in navigator.languages if the origin
        trial enabled.

     *

        The Accept-Language HTTP request header contains the user’s
        primary preferred language, this can change if we detect a
        more preferred language during the language negotiation process.

    Because of the experimental nature of reducing Accept-Language, a
    valid origin token must be sent in the response header by origins
    which opt-in the origin trial. Also two new headers Variants

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-variants-06#section-2>(indicating
    sites supporting languages) accept-language and Content-Language
    <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3282>need to be sent in
    the response header in order to make the language negotiation to
    work correctly.

    Please see the design and implementation document

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkPDf7DNtcOj4KXeW8wNCuYfto-drnGYST_NvZe3GoY/edit#heading=h.b6kmd248xsy4>for
    more information.

    Experiment Goals

    The goal of this origin trial is to enable developers to test how
    reducing the Accept-Language request header and the JS getter
    navigator.languages will affect their systems, especially to
    understand the user cases on navigator.languages. We hope this can
    provide sufficient time for developers to test. We can validate
    our current plans for reducing Accept-Language and safely roll out
    them to the web based on their feedback.

    We will be relying heavily on user and developer feedback to
    identify where breakage occurs,  or where use cases are not
    accounted for, especially for multilingual sites depending on the
    Accept-Language header, and navigator.languages.  We will create a
    GitHub repository and a public mailing list for gathering
    feedback. When the origin trial is ready, we plan to publish
    developer guidance on how to enroll and provide feedback.

    Experiment Risks

    There are some risks, as many multilingual sites have come to rely
    on the value in Accept-Language header and JS interfaces
    navigator.languages to send the right representation pages to the
    user.  Site breakage can take many forms, both obvious and
    non-obvious. However, since sites are in control of the
    Origin-Trial, Variants and Content-Language headers, a site can
    quickly opt out of the experiment when breakage is encountered.

            Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
            (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android
            WebView)?

    No (All but WebView)

            Is this feature fully tested byweb-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

    No (We fully test in browser_tests, WPT has limits to cover all
    the test cases in Accept-Language header).

            Flag name

    ReduceAcceptLanguageOriginTrial

            Tracking bug

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1306905
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1306905>

            Launch bug

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1307484
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1307484>

    <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5188040623390720#details>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/bfe74326-8ee2-4b7f-87f9-17d642f5da7bn%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/bfe74326-8ee2-4b7f-87f9-17d642f5da7bn%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.