Thank you for the questions, replies inline!

I actually ran into the same problem when I filed an I2S recently with a
lot of gaps in the generated email. The chromestatus tool hides most of the
fields used to generate emails behind various stages of shipment, which
makes it hard to set them correctly for I2E/I2S (I had to use "edit all
fields" to find them). It also defaults to rarely-correct values like "no
signals" and "no tests".

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 10:42 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 12:04 AM Ken Russell <k...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Could more Blink owners please provide their input? This is a feature the
>> WebGPU CG has standardized, and we would like to get it in our
>> implementation ASAP so the associated tests can start running correctly in
>> Chrome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Ken
>>

>> On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 9:56 AM Caleb Raitto <carai...@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, I thought so, but wanted to confirm :)
>>>
>>> -Caleb

> An explainer (even a short, inline one) would be extremely helpful when
> reviewing this. As is, it's not immediately clear to me what are we adding
> here, what are the use cases this addresses and how are developers supposed
> to use it?

We're adding a mechanism for feature detection of new language features
added to WGSL (WebGPU Shading Language). Since that's a language and not a
JS API, we needed a feature detection mechanism better than "try to compile
a shader and (asynchronously) find out if it failed".

At this time no such language features have been added yet (but we know
they will be).

> Can y'all ask for a signal? https://bit.ly/blink-signals

The API was collaboratively designed and approved by the W3C community
group with approval from Mozilla/Apple. Is that sufficient?
https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/wiki/Minutes-2023-03-08#add-query-for-list-of-wgsl-software-extensions-3875
https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/wiki/Minutes-2023-03-15#add-query-for-list-of-wgsl-softwareshader-lang-extensions-eg-do-while-3875
https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/wiki/Minutes-2023-04-05#tacit-resolution-queue

> Is there developer demand for this? I see a lot of excitement about WebGPU
> in general on the internets. Would it be hard to gauge excitement for this
> in particular?

There is no developer demand yet because we have not added any language
features yet. Once we start adding them, it'll be necessary for feature
detection.

It will be tested by the WebGPU conformance test suite which is developed
separately from WPT. https://github.com/gpuweb/cts

>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMYvS2d9meRdbmiHTorZ1ksWPqjsyrVe3ZcopzKTs98n%2Bv7Q_Q%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMYvS2d9meRdbmiHTorZ1ksWPqjsyrVe3ZcopzKTs98n%2Bv7Q_Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .