API owners,

We would like to extend the origin trial for 3 additional milestones, with
the extension starting in 113 continuing through 115. The OT
<https://chromestatus.com/feature/5690553554436096> was previously approved
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/b-XAY59jj0c/m/2jeRBHoMCAAJ>
to run from 107 to 112 (OT token expires on 2023-06-02).

Contact emails

m...@chromium.org, fer...@chromium.org, denom...@chromium.org,
pending-beacon-experim...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/pending-beacon/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/pending-beacon/

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QIFUu6Ne8x0W62RKJSoTtZjSd_bIM2yXZSELxdeuTFo/edit?pli=1

Summary

A stateful PendingBeacon API allows website authors to specify one or more
beacons (HTTP requests) that should be sent reliably when the page is being
unloaded.

Existing beacon APIs are all based around a developer constructing and
sending a beacon, and there's no good time for that "send" call to be made.
(Handlers such as 'unload' are often ignored, for example.) This API
delegates the sending to the browser itself, so it can support beacons on
page unload or on page hide, without the developer having to implement send
calls at exactly the right times.

Blink component

UI>Browser>Navigation>BFCache
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:UI%3EBrowser%3ENavigation%3EBFCache>

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

N/A

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: pending further feedback:
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/703

WebKit: Positive signal (closed):
https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/85 /

Web developers: No signals

Other signals: ongoing API discussion in
https://github.com/WICG/pending-beacon/issues/70

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

Security

Goals for experimentation

   -

   Collect usability feedback about the current API shape to decide how to
   improve the API design
   -

   Collect stability metrics of the current API implementation

Reason this experiment is being extended

The new API shape is currently being discussed with WebKit Fetch folks. It
is unlikely that we will ship the current OT version of the API.

At the same time, we have received additional feedback after the previous
OT extension. There are users currently trying to evaluate the API with
their usage and need more time to collect the metrics, but our OT token
will expire in early June. We would like to request an extension to help
both of us.

Ongoing technical constraints

See “What’s not supported
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/experiments/pending-beacon.md#what_s-not-supported>
”
 Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?

Yes

Flag name