LGTM1

On 10/15/23 11:07 AM, 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware they were mandatory. The steps have been started, just awaiting feedback from Security and Privacy reviewers. I've received LGTMs for all other areas. After our response to WebKit's question, they did not have any further follow-up questions. So I'm assuming all is well.

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 4:59:15 AM UTC-7 Daniel Bratell wrote:

    I see that various mandatory steps in chromestatus
    (privacy,security,enterprise,debuggability,testing) seems to be
    unstarted. It is possible they were made mandatory after you
    create the entry, but it would be good if you could get them
    started now at least.

    Also, it's unfortunate that TAG and standards positions requests
    have not resulted in anything, but that is hardly your fault.
    There were some questions in the WebKit request. Is all that ok now?

    /Daniel

    On 2023-10-06 20:10, 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev wrote:

    On Friday, October 6, 2023 at 9:03:35 AM UTC-7
    mike...@chromium.org wrote:

        On 10/4/23 7:43 PM, 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev wrote:
        Contact emails
        gerc...@microsoft.com, sahir....@microsoft.com

        Explainer

https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/MSEdgeExplainers/blob/main/PointerEventDeviceId/explainer.md

        Specification

https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/MSEdgeExplainers/blob/main/PointerEventDeviceId/explainer.md

        Summary

        As devices with advanced pen input capabilities are becoming
        increasingly prevalent, it is important that the web
        platform continues to evolve to fully support these advanced
        features in order to unlock rich experiences for both end
        users and developers. One such advancement is the ability
        for a device's digitizer to recognize more than one pen
        device interacting with it simultaneously. This feature is
        an extension to the PointerEvent interface to include a new
        attribute, deviceId, that represents a session-persistent,
        document isolated, unique identifier that a developer can
        reliably use to identify individual pens interacting with
        the page.

        Blink component
        Blink>Input

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EInput>

        TAG review

        TAG review status
        Pending. TAG review has been pending for 2 months.

        Risks

        Interoperability and Compatibility

        /Gecko/: No signal
        (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/715)

        /WebKit/: No signal
        (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/102)

        /Web developers/: No signals

        /Other signals/:

        WebView application risks

        /Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing
        APIs, such that it has potentially high risk for Android
        WebView-based applications?/

        None

        Debuggability

        Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
        (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
        No

        Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

        No. However, there are web tests in Chromium that test
        PointerEventInit with this feature.

        Flag name on chrome://flags
        PointerEventDeviceId

        Finch feature name

        Non-finch justification
        Edge origin trials successfully underway.
        Any Origin Trial feedback you can share?

    Absolutely, the feature has been working well. Our partners
    (Microsoft Whiteboard) have enabled the feature that is dependent
    on this API for their general audience! We did not receive any
    constructive feedback. This API is being used by them on
    Microsoft Surface Hub devices, which support multi-pen inking.

        Requires code in //chrome?
        False

        Measurement
        PointerEventDeviceId use counter implemented.

        Availability expectation
        Initially available on Chromium browsers on Windows.
        Out of curiosity, are there limitations on other platforms
        that prevent supporting this feature?

    We haven't been able to get our hands on hardware that supports
    other platforms in addition to multi pen inking in order to
    implement and appropriately test this feature. We welcome any
    sponsors for implementing and testing this, especially on
    Linux/Android.

        Adoption expectation
        Feature is used by specific partner(s) to provide
        functionality immediately upon launch.

        Adoption plan
        This feature has been through origin trials on Edge. It is
        being used by partners that provide features on devices with
        multi pen support.

        Non-OSS dependencies

        /Does the feature depend on any code or APIs outside the
        Chromium open source repository and its open-source
        dependencies to function?/

        Operating system API's are used to obtain the device id, and
        are necessary for this feature to function. Please see the
        security questionnaire in the TAG review on security and
        privacy concerns related to the use of these APIs.

        Estimated milestones
        Shipping on desktop
        120

        Anticipated spec changes

        /Open questions about a feature may be a source of future
        web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g.
        links to known github issues in the project for the feature
        specification) whose resolution may introduce web
        compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure
        of the API in a non-backward-compatible way)./

        WICG Proposal:
        https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/101 No web
        compat/interop risk.

        Links to previous Intent discussions
        Intent to prototype:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/SA0PR00MB1033E5DE0BDE42239E647E9AFB189%40SA0PR00MB1033.namprd00.prod.outlook.com

        This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
        <https://chromestatus.com/>.
        Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
        from it, send an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/PH0PR00MB1349B7917876E7AC505E790AFBCBA%40PH0PR00MB1349.namprd00.prod.outlook.com

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/PH0PR00MB1349B7917876E7AC505E790AFBCBA%40PH0PR00MB1349.namprd00.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c8f16bc4-8d21-450b-9178-964cba818a68n%40chromium.org

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c8f16bc4-8d21-450b-9178-964cba818a68n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/8077a67d-4104-48c6-9f9b-09f9e6c8b022n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/8077a67d-4104-48c6-9f9b-09f9e6c8b022n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.