Contact emails
zheda.c...@intel.com, fdo...@chromium.org

Specification
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/timers-and-user-prompts.html

Summary

Align wake ups of JavaScript timers for unimportant cross-origin frames.
Currently, DOM timers <32ms are all opt-out from AlignWakeUps [1] due to
performance concerns. This is very conservative and actually some
unimportant frames are eligible to use JS timer alignment. WebKit uses the
policy to align DOM timer of non-interacted cross origin frames to 30ms.
This feature adds JavaScript timer wake up alignment for unimportant frames
on foreground pages. Unimportant frames means they are cross origin,
visible but have small proportion of page’s visible area, and have no user
interaction. [1]
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/4589092

Blink component
Blink>PerformanceAPIs>Timers
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EPerformanceAPIs%3ETimers>

TAG review
None

TAG review status
Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

*Gecko*: No signal

*WebKit*: No signal

*Web developers*: No signals

*Other signals*:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Goals for experimentation

We plan to experiment on stable to confirm whether we observe same
performance improvement as on lower channels and similar power benefit as
in the lab. We will decide whether this feature ships based on the
experiment data.

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?
Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?
No

Flag name on chrome://flags
None

Finch feature name
ThrottleUnimportantFrameTimers

Requires code in //chrome?
False

Tracking bug
https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40942028

Estimated milestones
DevTrial on desktop
122
DevTrial on Android
122

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.