LGTM2

On 3/13/24 11:45 AM, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) wrote:
LGTM1

On Monday, March 11, 2024 at 4:21:36 PM UTC-4 Paul Jensen wrote:

    On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 12:07 PM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)
    <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

        On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 7:00 PM Paul Jensen
        <pauljen...@chromium.org> wrote:

            On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:24 PM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)
            <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

                On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 6:07 PM 'Orr Bernstein' via
                blink-dev <blink-dev@chromium.org> wrote:

                    Contact emails

                    pauljen...@chromium.org

                    Explainer

                    Downsampled forDebugOnly:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1020
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1020>

                    Increase number of component ads:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1003
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1003>

                    Specification

                    Downsampled forDebugOnly:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1023
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1023>

                    Increase number of component ads:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1004
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1004>

                    Summary

                    Downsampled forDebugOnly:

                    The forDebuggingOnly.reportAdAuctionWin() and
                    forDebuggingOnly.reportAdAuctionLoss() (fDO) APIs
                    were added to the Protected Audience (PA) API to
                    allow debugging from within bidding and scoring
                    scripts in PA auctions.  We originally intended to
                    remove these APIs at third-party cookie
                    deprecation (3PCD) time, but received feedback
                    that they were essential for doing root cause
                    analysis in escalation situations (i.e. critical
                    crash). Instead of removing debug reports
                    entirely, we now plan to heavily downsample them
                    at 3PCD time as follows: they will only send a
                    report with a 1/1000 probability. Furthermore, if
                    a report is sent, the browser will not send
                    another for 3 years (“lockout”), and if a report
                    is not sent (999/1000 of the time), future calls
                    to the fDO API from the calling origin will be
                    ignored for 2 weeks 90% of the time and 1 year 10%
                    of the time (“cooldown”).  To avoid biasing
                    towards new browser installs (which aren’t in
                    lockout or cooldown), we may place new browser
                    installs initially in a shorter lockout period.
                    For now, until 3PCD, we’ll expose whether a fDO
                    caller is in the “lockout” or “cooldown” periods.

                    Increase number of component ads:

                    Today, PA allows selection of ads containing 20
                    component ads (aka product level ads).  We plan to
                    increase this number from 20 to 40 as we received
                    feedback that ads with higher numbers of
                    components were critical (e.g. for ads that rotate
                    through 3 sets of 12 products).

                Can you expand on the implications of increasing that
                number? What's the tradeoff involved?

            As discussed on github here
            <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/810>and in
            person here

<https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/main/meetings/2023-10-04-FLEDGE-call-minutes.md#leo---discussion-about-increasing-the-number-of-ad-components-entering-the-bid-from-20-to-40-httpsgithubcomwicgturtledoveissues810>,
            we've heard from adtechs that large portions of their ad
            inventory cannot be displayed without allowing higher
            numbers of component ads, so increasing this number
            restores more publisher site revenue.  The downsides to
            increasing this number are fairly minor:  There's a
            negligible privacy impact as the component ads are not
            shared with PA reporting scripts, are required to be
            k-anonymous, and when displayed, each component ad can be
            isolated from each other in separate Fenced Frames.

        I understand the benefits of increasing the number of ads, but
        are there any pointers to past discussion/analysis RE the
        privacy impact? I understand it's not huge (and it's not my
        role to judge the privacy risk - that's what the privacy
        review is for). I'd just love to better understand this :D

    WRT the privacy impact, as it's negligible, there isn't much to
    discuss so there isn't much prior discussion/analysis other than
    in this email thread and in the two links I posted before.  If
    there's some aspect you'd like to discuss further or dig into
    more, I'm happy to engage.

Fair enough. I'd have loved more discussion on this, but it's not a blocker.

                    Blink component

                    Blink>InterestGroups

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EInterestGroups>

                    TAG review

                    The parent proposal, Protected Audience, is still
                    pending:
                    <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/723>

                    TAG review status

                    Pending

                    Risks

                    Interoperability and Compatibility

                    Downsampled forDebugOnly: No expected breakage
                    before 3PCD as the downsampling will not be
                    performed until then. For now only the status of
                    whether a fDO caller is in the “lockout” or
                    “cooldown” periods is exposed. After 3PCD, the
                    downsampling will surely disrupt some potential
                    uses of the reporting channel, but this is an
                    essential privacy requirement of the Protected
                    Audience API.

                    Increase number of component ads: This is an
                    increase to the limit, so no breakage is expected.

                    Gecko & WebKit: No signal on parent proposal,
                    Protected Audience.  Asked in the Mozilla
                    forumhere
                    <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/770>,
                    and in the Webkit forum here
                    <https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/158>.

                    Web developers:

                    Downsampled forDebugOnly: Discussed here
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/632>and
                    in person here

<https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/main/meetings/2024-01-17-FLEDGE-call-minutes.md#:~:text=on%20the%20URL.-,forDebuggingOnly%20availability,-%2D%20%23632>.

                    Increase number of component ads: Discussed here
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/810>and
                    in person here

<https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/main/meetings/2023-10-04-FLEDGE-call-minutes.md#leo---discussion-about-increasing-the-number-of-ad-components-entering-the-bid-from-20-to-40-httpsgithubcomwicgturtledoveissues810>.

                    Debuggability

                    Use of both APIs is debuggable via DevTools
                    debugging of Protected Audience bidding and
                    scoring scripts.

                    Will this feature be supported on all six Blink
                    platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android,
                    and Android WebView)?

                    It will be supported on all platforms that support
                    Protected Audience, so all but WebView.

                    Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

                    We plan to land web-platform-tests for both
                    features shortly.

                    Flag name on chrome://flags

                    None

                    Finch feature name

                    FledgeEnableFilteringDebugReportStartingFrom,
                    FledgeAdComponentLimit

                    Requires code in //chrome?

                    False

                    Estimated milestones

                    Shipping on desktop and Android in M122.

                    Anticipated spec changes

                    None related to these features.

                    <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5099305180594176>

                    This intent message was generated by Chrome
                    Platform Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.

-- You received this message because you are
                    subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
                    emails from it, send an email to
                    blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org
                    <mailto:blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org>.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/d5ba8ace-8a65-461f-9124-9fcd7a232c26n%40chromium.org

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/d5ba8ace-8a65-461f-9124-9fcd7a232c26n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/1129ace3-a003-4273-a731-b0359c8a6f87n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/1129ace3-a003-4273-a731-b0359c8a6f87n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.