On 2024/05/03 5:43, Mason Freed wrote:
I stand by what I said - we will definitely be open to well-justified changes after we ship! More inline below.

Despite the best intents, the "well-justified" part of this is going to be a very quickly raising bar.

The same intent was declared [1] about 'text-wrap: balance' not long ago, and shortly after it shipped we wanted to tweak it, and Chrome pushed back [2] because of compat concerns.

The people who said then that shipping prior to spec stability was OK because making compat breaking changes would be fine if needed were sincere. But those who insisted that breaking compat was not worth it when we did find things we wanted to change were being reasonable.

'text-wrap: balance' was a very simple feature, with low complexity, and limited impact in terms of potential for breakage. And yet we ended up being more constrained than we wished. Anchor positioning is way more complex of a feature, so the likelihood we'll discover something we want to change is higher, and the impact of potential breakage is higher too, since this is a layout feature.

At the point where a number of sites will have started relying on this highly anticipated feature, making breaking changes will be pushed back against, with good reasons.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/9102#issuecomment-1649927288
[2] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/9102#issuecomment-1658998792