First, I’d just like to correct the record, for the benefit of the folks
who have been working for years on this feature (including lots of
outreach), and for everyone following this discussion:

   -

   This feature has been in development since May, 2022
   <https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/3647670>, and
   available for developer trials in Chrome since August, 2022
   <https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/3840458>. We
   have been continuously shipping the feature experimentally for developers
   to try out, including all revisions, since then. We’ve gathered a
   significant amount of developer feedback, much of which is public. Four
   such bits of feedback are listed in the “Dev trial” section of the
chromestatus
   entry <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5124922471874560> attached to my
   initial post here.
   -

   The blog post we published last week
   <https://developer.chrome.com/blog/anchor-positioning-api?hl=en> is not
   the first. We’ve been posting about this feature for a while now, starting
   with a teaser in May 2022
   <https://web.dev/blog/state-of-css-2022#anchoring_an_element_to_another>,
   and then our first full blog post in March 2023

<https://developer.chrome.com/blog/tether-elements-to-each-other-with-css-anchor-positioning>.

   Our devrel team has spoken about it at dozens of developer conferences
   and venues, including CSS Day 2023
   <https://youtu.be/dkBeBxs48os?si=rSd2PUMX9Hn0foSM&t=1572>, and has been
   gathering tons of valuable developer feedback (both publicly and privately)
   along the way. (The CSSWG blog <https://www.w3.org/blog/CSS/> appears to
   be just a list of meeting minutes?)
   -

   I have been reading your posts very carefully, and spending significant
   time writing responses. I’d appreciate you assuming my good faith in these

Second, thank you for reviewing the spec and raising some great issues. We
are looking through those now - let’s discuss each of them on the issues
instead of here. From our initial review, it looks like they can be
addressed, and we are committed to adjusting this feature as needed to make
sure it works for developers. That applies to these issues as well.

Thanks,

Mason