On Thu, 21 Sep 2017, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

It would be interesting if we could run some netperf tests using port
80/443 for the listening socket for the data connection (although if
doing deep-packet inspection, we might need to use an actual HTTP
transfer).

Trouble with this is that netserver would have to run as root to be able
to bind to the ports; it does that dynamically, so binding at startup
and dropping privileges won't work.

you can also give the binary the capability to bind to low ports without running as root.

setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' /path/to/program

Also it would mean that no other services could run on those ports.

that is true.

David Lang