Hi,

Sanford wrote to move the mailing list to google groups.
I think thats *very important* to get some fresh air
into the discussions and to invite more people to take part
in certain developments. Easy access is the very first part.
People who are not programmers usually do not have a SF.net
login but 60-80% of the people have a google account.

I think the current state is that the whole Blue Obelisk Movement
looks very closed (also due to the technical problems) and people
get enough E-mail so having the whole list on google groups
will generate easier access and more transparency.

**** Blog vs. Discussion groups RANT ****

I know that its fashionable to blog and usually people generate
much more traffic there (look at the very interesting Chemspider-PMR feud)
but the whole format makes it really hard to follow certain discussions.

Also if there are important discussions i like to follow in
thread-like google groups stile and not in a messed up blogger-format or
wordpress-format where sometimes it is not clear who wrote what and
the HTML format of the reply is messed-up anyway.

Although I like to read blogs I dont have time to follow 20 blogs
and such important discussions like: "Should we curate commercial
spectra collections?" could be discussed in a much more denser environment
like the BO forum where all people follow. But maybe thats oldstyle web 1.0
.-) And maybe people come to blueobelisk.org because of the blogs.

Anyway, thanks to Egon and Christoph an others for handling all the
BO web and mail in the past.

Sanford, regarding the red hen spectra test, I hope the sign-up process
works now. Just send some more information to me.

Tobias

Dr. Tobias Kind
UC Davis Genome Center
Metabolomics Group