Hi Florian,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Florian Effenberger
<flo...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> You know, complaining is easy. I myself do nearly a half-day job for TDF,
> next to my real life, and I'm a bit allergic to generalization. If there is
> a specific topic that does not work out, please ping us again and let us
> know. But saying in general, we are totally closed and nothing works is a
> bit unfair, David. You know better that it isn't that bad.

I know you work tremendously hard for the project, and you have a lot
of respect and gratitude from me from that, which you know I have
expressed on- and off-list various times. Let me take the chance to
say again that, without your *personal* efforts, this project would
probably fall apart. Literally.

No, this is in no way directed towards you personally. Nor do I ever
say that "everything is bad". But that doesn't mean that one should
not point out undesirable tendencies (in a measured and rational
manner) before they get to be ingrained habits.

And I do understand that, in a FOSS project, we always have to take
account of people's time limitations. However, when one is managing
the project's key infrastructure as a rather closed group, one does
have a bit of a commitment to especial responsiveness, within
reasonable limits. In any case, it's certainly what I try to apply
with my own piece of infrastructure.

My point is that the sysadmins team is perhaps not developing the
right culture in terms of openness and participation, and that it
would be good to open it up a bit. This is my 2 cents, others may not
see things like that, but...

For the particular questions I could have raised, I'll mail you
off-list. In which case, I perfectly accept that it will take you time
to consider and respond, because I know you have a lot on your plate.
Once again, you definitely should not read all the above posts as any
kind of criticism of you personally. You should probably be aware by
now that I hold your work for the project in very high regard.

--
David Nelson