El 2020-07-17 11:42, Cor Nouws escribió:
Hi Daniel, *,

Daniel Armando Rodriguez wrote on 17/07/2020 15:11:
As stated at the meeting, the number of subscribers to the mailing lists
is significantly low. The user list, for example, has about 1500
subscribers, the Spanish and Brazilian lists have about 350 people each.
TDF has today 221 members and this list only 160 people. Therefore,
beyond the fact that the subscription is voluntary, it cannot be said
that many people are encouraged to participate in the discussions.

It is indeed right that mailing lists are not for _all_ - any more.
/me those were good times ;)

It has to do with a social issue, as someone said, but also with the
language barrier and the ability to argue an idea. And I'm pretty sure
that providing a platform where people can vote on comments/ideas will
allow TDF to attract much more participation, even from those who don't
speak English as fluently... as I do.

Of course it is not needed to get votes in the first place, but allowing people to provide input, without the need to set up an email address for
that, is indeed important.

To make it clear, this is not an attempt to solve several problems at
once, I don't expect to present a final solution, if there is one. But

I heard a likewise comment in the BoD meeting indeed, and could not well
understand it myself.
Maybe the idea was to express that the problem is a complex one, and not
only solved by different tooling. Maybe the tooling even is less
important than an attitude that encourages participation.
I remember quite some moments from the past, that on a mailing lists, in
a discussion, or at the start of it, it was recognized that we should
try to use more public lists for the kind of topics.. Sometimes that
worked. But to often, with the load of work, difficulty to manage,
moderate (more widely) discussions etc. we fell in old habits.. ;)

as a foundation with a global reach we need to make people willing to
participate. If such behavior modification is achieved through technical
change, then we welcome it.

Indeed. Technical means can help.
If a mailing list was available for all, one could say that it would be
sufficient to announce on all channels that discussion.topic is ongoing
there to encourage people to join - if they so wish.
And of course that applies to any preferred tool: make sure that people
in other channels get a ping to make them aware.

Once implemented, of course an invitation will send through all the channels
to let people give it a try. I'm thinking in a blog post also.

What I propose is to give the platform a chance without leaving any
other tools aside, for a certain period of time, and then evaluate the
performance.

I did not look into details of https://democraciaos.org/en/

Well, unfortunately DemocracyOS is currently without maintenance. So the preferred choice is decidim, which is a most complete and powerfull tool.

But I have a high trust in open source and tooling developed to support
democracy. So, with only the condition that it allows to have (some)
interaction with mail (and I guess it has), I'm much in favor to give it
a try!

Indeed, notifications are send through email

Maybe with a few projects, topics to start with - not do a complete
remake of our work immediately - it yields good experience.

Of course

And imagine it makes it even easier to improve our attitudes at the same time :)

--
DAR