On 10.02.2022 17:53, Michael Meeks wrote:

Hi Michael, all,

        It seems reasonable to explore what people should be hired to do -
before hiring them =) That has the benefit of working out what skills
are needed in the job advert and/or interview process for example. The
'discussion' here - I would not see as blocked, but problematic see
later.

I don't think the discussion is even at this point. Reading the messages I can only see some board members just questioning every single commas used by the others, fighting in public without even realising that all this drama is only bringing away community members interested to share more ideas and proposals for solving this deadlock we are experiencing.

        As for no-one listening to users - I spend my life listening to
customers & partners & users - and trying to do what they want. Anyone
jealous of some big pool of unconstrained money / development power in
corporate contributors is mistaken. Nevertheless I still get
impassioned complaints of why Collabora did X and not Y from
intelligent, articulate, engaged community members.

...and again, it's not always "Collabora vs others" discussion. There's a discussion, not even a concrete proposal on how TDF could contribute more code, there are other opinions shared and an attempt to really act like a community that tries to shape its own projects. Can we stop to reduce every possible discussion to the "ecosystem vs all the others"?

We are all part of the same project, many of us were part of it from day 0, some officially, others unofficially, but we were all there.
Can we stop to act like kids and try to really cooperate like adults?

        As for finding new board members on the list to express a view you
feel represents you: these long threads packed with trolling and
misrepresentation on board-discuss are not a great way to interact I
suspect. Why would a new board member want to engage in them while
they find their feet ? Lets not be quick to preemptively despair of
sensible decision making.

This way to act is not only affecting the board members. It has a negative impact on the full community and on all the potential new contributors that are just scared away by all those dramas.

        These days the we have created rules to exclude people from such
decision making - which has the potential to significantly exacerbate
conflict and division I feel.

...talking about trolling, I was indeed missing yet another comment against the CoI policy.

Cheers,
Marina

--
Marina Latini