Hi Italo,

Italo Vignoli píše v Čt 10. 02. 2022 v 18:28 +0100:

> I would have applauded a reaction to the message that has opened
> this
> thread which was integrating the proposal with some additional
> thoughts
> and suggestions, to specify which could be the areas where a
> developer
> hired by TDF could work for the common benefit of the project.

I see, thank you for the explanation!

I have expressed elsewhere in this thread that I am a proponent of
hiring more development mentors rather than generic developers; so it
is hard for me to get excited about this proposal.

Also I forgot to answer Heiko elsewhere that his idea of graphics
designer / website developer in one person sounds reasonably positive
to me.

Having said that, maybe we can get a bit more constructive even in this
 discussion about hypothetical possibility of hiring generic
developers; so what about this:

Michael, please - would you be willing to further your (and Sophie's)
idea in form of a document that can be discussed as a whole,
particularly how the details together fit the TDF mission?

I myself would be interested in the following questions; do you think
you can cover them some way, please?

* How to frame the hiring process - where developers should have a say
  in it, without being accused of CoI?

* How to make it quick, so that the potential hires are still available
  once TDF decides for this or that candidate?

* How to get the developers up-to-speed or mentor them once they are
  hired?

* Also how to task them, how to day-to-day manage them, and how to make
  sure they are progressing at a reasonable pace?

* What to do if they get stuck, and there is nobody in the community
  who can help them?

* How to detect they are not performing, and just consume the donors'
  money?

* How to make sure they don't compete with other open source projects,
  or the ecosystem companies?

* How to make sure they are not misused by (any, not only ecosystem)
  companies to fix bugs for them or for their customers?  [Particularly
  companies disguised by @gmail or so addresses in bugzilla.]

* On the other hand - how to make it possible to cherry-pick fixes or
  features into the release branches of ecosystem companies without
  the risk of being accused of misusing the previous point?

* Should there be a mechanism for the ecosystem companies to flag a bug
  "this is what I'm working on for a customer - please don't touch"?

* With my pet idea of development mentors rather than generic
  developers in mind - should they be mentoring too, and if yes, how
  to prioritize vs. the actual development?

* How to avoid growing a group-think in the internal developers
  group that there is no need for the ecosystem companies, or even
  for the community as a whole?  [As explained elsewhere; as much as
  it sounds strange - TDF is a subset of the community, not the other
  way around.]

* How to avoid TDF internal developers to feel (or worse, to be)
  "more equal" than the rest of the community - particularly when
  there is no 1/3 rule for them, direct access to release engineering
  and admins (their colleagues), etc.?

I am sure this list is not exhaustive, and suppose others will
contribute, but hope it is a start.

Thank you in advance!

All the best,
Kendy