Hi!

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM Andreas Mantke <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:

> If there is only the chance of a _possible_ CoI in front of a
> discussion/decision/process the ones with such a possible CoI has to
> leave the meeting (You could get that really clear from the above
> European Commission document).

All the directors present in the meeting gave useful information relating
to their interests, which everyone present took into account. They each
personally judged that they did not cause an actual or apparent conflict.
There was no indication of any conflict with the business of the meeting
arising from those interests (for example, Thorsten's "interest" was having
published LibreOffice Vanilla on behalf of the Foundation in the past). The
business of the meeting proceeded and consensus was reached. This is the
normal way business is conducted everywhere.

Taking the position you are describing would lead to obviously unreasonable
outcomes for a community such as ours.  For example (and to get away from
the usual suspects), as the owner of a successful cloud hosting business
that apparently deploys NextCloud and OwnCloud for clients, using your
logic Paolo Vecchi should have removed himself from any and all
conversations about LibreOffice Online and take no part in any future
discussion about them, as he clearly has a related interest. I am not
expecting that; are you?

We are a community-of-interest and we can expect many people to have
interests to declare in our work - and not just arising from employment.
The Board needs to know and understand each director's interest, and
directors need to make realistic and honest decisions about when they are
unable to participate due to an actual conflict. It is a decision for each
individual and we have to trust each other that is being made.

It is inappropriate and harrassing for people to continually raise the
subject. Accusations of breach of trust (which means alleging either a
failure to disclose an interest or persisting in a decision process in
spite of an unresolved conflict of declared interests) are very serious and
should be the rare exception, not the constantly-repeated refrain of every
meeting as they are now. It really is time for this to stop - it undermines
trust and poisons discussion.

I work in this subject area fairly often and I wrote an informal article a
while ago on the subject that may help; see
https://minkiver.se/~/WebminkInDraft/Trusting-Charity-Directors

Cheers

Simon
--